Monday, December 5, 2011

Dreamers celebrate in quiet style

Today is officially Sam's birthday.

Yes, he's now thirty-one and I'm seven months from thirty-ten.  *sigh*

Ah, but here's how we celebrated his day on Saturday...

We went to the massage school and had massages with Lonnie and Lindsay.  Everyone but Sam has had numerous massages.  And I'm pretty sure I'm the most spoiled one of the bunch.  The ex husband kept me flush with massages.  Apparently I'm easier to be with when I'm relaxed.  And as stressed as that man made me...well, you get the idea.  Hence, my plethora of massages through the years.

So, Sam didn't really know what to expect.  He had some requests.  He wanted a girl.  Actually, he INSISTED upon a girl.  There's no way he was going to be comfortable with some guy rubbing on him.  And I wanted his first experience to be good, so when we arrived and I discovered that he was set up for a guy therapist, I took one for the team and had a girl while Lindsay switched with him to get a guy like she wanted.

I wanted him to be comfortable.  And in all honesty, I wasn't sure knowing that his pregnant wife was getting rubbed down by some guy was going to help with that.  I'm a really good wife.

We all were taken back at different times and since this is a school and not a spa, the room is set up with curtains that mostly close.  I was able to walk by and see him lying on the table in his jeans, no shirt, not under the covers.  It was cute.  I'm not sure if he ever took those jeans off.  Since the request was that we undress to our comfort level, and since he is wound tighter than the proverbial drum, probably not.

I, however, dropped everything but my panties, laid under the blanket, and waited for it all to begin.  They didn't have a pregnancy table so I had to lay on my sides, rather than simply get to drop my belly into the hole.  It wasn't easy, since these tables are small and with the belly, I'm not.

In other news, the baby loved the massage.  She rolled around and poked me here and there.  We had much fun relaxing together.  And every once in a while I would hear Sam or Lonnie in another part of the room.  It was cute.

The plan was to go post massage to lunch.  No worries.  We hit a restaurant that Sam and I used to frequent, but have since had to taper off with on account of...we're poor.  It was Longhorn for lunch with Lonnie and Lindsay.

And this birthday was so much better than the last when we were still mourning our loss.  And I was drugged up on pain meds.  And we weren't in the mood to celebrate anything.

This time we ate and laughed and joked.  Good times.  And unlike the day before, one of my crying at the drop of a hat days, we had a really great time.  I didn't shed a single tear.  Oh, but I wanted to.  I wanted to cry for the good we were experiencing, even if Sam isn't so quick to see it.

We don't need big parties.  We don't need alcohol.  We just need some quality time with those we love.  That's how we roll.

4 comments:

  1. Oooooo.... massages are awesome gifts! Hope he's able to relax and enjoy one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, sounds like a great way to celebrate. Do they still let you throw peanut shells on the floor at Longhorn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making me sigh with envy cousin. So glad you all had a good day together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith, no peanuts on the floor. Still a lot of fun.

    Rebecca, thank you. We need to take our happiness where we find it.

    ReplyDelete