Friday, December 16, 2011

Dreamers delight in alone time

Is it wrong that I get happy when Sam leaves for work?  Because lately, I do.  Don't get me wrong.  I love having him around.

Mostly.

There are just times that it bothers me.  I don't really need him sitting there staring at me from the other end of the couch while I try to write.  I don't really want to have to explain constantly what I am writing about or why I'm working on the novel when he thinks I should be doing something more productive...like writing SEO articles for one of our companies.

And sure.  Maybe he's right.  Maybe in the end I will discover this was another frivolous waste of my time.  It could be.  I haven't exactly hit the jackpot from my writing efforts to date.  At the same time, I haven't done a lot of marketing.  I always seem to have about a hundred other things going on all at the same time.

I need to fix that.

And somehow, I think that can only be fixed by his absence.  Yup.  Thank goodness he has some work.  I need the quiet time to do my work.  I need the space to get things done.  I need to be free to write or sit and think.

If I stop tapping on the keys for a moment, he asks me if I have writer's block.  I don't sit in front of a computer with writer's block.  I learned long ago that I need to go off and do something else, think, or not think and the words will come.

The books will get finished.  I'm setting us up for great things in 2012.  And I hope you'll join me in the optimism I have for an amazing year.  I believe it.  I really do.  We're going to have an amazing year.  It seems like every year gets better and more challenging.  I thrive on it.

So...yes, I feel a little guilty I'm so happy he's gone...for now.  I will like him more when he gets home.  I'll like him even better when he we snuggle on the couch tonight and I feel all accomplished.

And tomorrow...Jennie comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment